Arka ChattopadhyayAssistant Professor
- BA: Presidency College, 2007
- MA: Jadavpur University, 2009
- MPhil: Jadavpur University, 2011
- PhD: Western Sydney University, 2016
- Email: arka.chattopadhyay -AT- iitgn.ac.in
- Office: 4/333 A
- VOIP: 2533
Research Interests: 20th century literature: modernism and postmodernism, Modern theatre, European avant garde fiction, Continental philosophy and psychoanalysis, Bengali vernacular literature and transnationalism, Translation theory, Modern poetry, affect studies
- Book Chapter
- Guest Editor
- Journal Articles
- Papers Presented
- Chattopadhyay, Arka, “Reading 'Virgil and the Christian World': encountering the Enigma of poetic truth", in Objective illumination! a study of T.S. Eliot's prose writings, Alfa Publications, 2018, ISBN: 9789383292387.
Chattopadhyay, Arka, “Economy of humour and horror: Mahesh, Mathematics and spectrality”, in (Re)Presentations: problems, politics and praxis, PAIOLCK: Kolkata, 2019, ISBN: 9789388207140.
Chattopadhyay, Arka, “How to mourn the present: fiction, memory, and mourning in Paul Auster’s man in the dark and John Banville’s ancient light”, in Knots: Post-Lacanian Psychoanalysis, Literature and Film, DOI: 10.4324/9781003002727, Routledge, Nov. 2019, ISBN: 9781003002727.
Chattopadhyay, Arka, “Androgyny in the spectrum of sexuality and gender”, in The cult of the androgyne: reflections in life and literature, art and religion, New Delhi: AuthorPress, 2020, ISBN: 9789389110678.
Chattopadhyay, Arka, “Memory, image and reading traces of the infinite: Gerald Murnane’s a history of Books”, in Gerald Murnane: another world in this one, DOI: 10.2307/j.ctvx5w926.14, Sydney: Sydney University Press, pp. 127-142, Mar. 2020, ISBN: 9781743326404.
- Chattopadhyay, Arka*, Sourit Battacharya, and Samrat Sengupta (eds). 2020. Nabarun Battacharya: Aesthetics in a World after Ethics, Bloomsbury India
Chattopadhyay, Arka, Uponyosto (in Bengali), Kolkata: Boibhashik Prokashoni, 2018, ISBN: 9788193796627.
Chattopadhyay, Arka, Beckett, Lacan and the Mathematical writing of the real, Bloomsbury Academic, 2018, ISBN: 9781501341182.
Chakraborty, Dolonchampa (Tr.) and Chattopadhyay, Arka (Tr.), The evening Gnome: a collection of poems(Saubhik De Sarkar). Authors Press, 2018, ISBN: 978-93-87651-47-0.
Chattopadhyay, Arka (Tr.), Harpless, a Novel by Rajarshi Chattopadhyay. Kolkata: Flying Turtle, 2019, ISBN: 9789388887366.
- Chattopadhyay, Arka; Maitra, Dipanjan and Banerjee, Arunava ed., Sanglap: Journal of Literary and Cultural Inquiry [Special Section: Lacanian Psychoanalysis and the Logic of the Cut], vol. 4, no. 2, 2018.
- Bhattacharya, Sourit and Chattopadhyay, Arka, “Why world literature: introductory dialogues”, Sanglap: Journal of Literary and Cultural Inquiry, vol. 4, no. 1, Sep. 2017.
Chattopadhyay, Arka; Maitra, Dipanjan and Banerjee, Arunava, “Lacanian psychoanalysis and the logic of the cut”, Sanglap: Journal of Literary and Cultural Inquiry, vol. 4, no. 2, pp. 1-9, May 2018.
Chattopadhyay, Arka, “Gazing still: Beckett’s static bodies on stage”, Samuel Beckett Today / Aujourd'hui, DOI: 10.1163/18757405-03002001, vol. 30, no. 2, pp. 279-290, Oct. 2018
Chattopadhyay, Arka, “Political logic of numerical community: Borromean Ones in Lacan and Beckett”, Psychoanalytische Perspectieven (Journal of Ghent University Psychology Department), vol. 36, no. 4, pp. 483-496, 2018.
Chattopadhyay, Arka, “I am Jack the ripper, a golden eagle: ethical alterity and dangers of narrative travel in world literature”, Interventions, DOI: 10.1080/1369801X.2018.1547207, vol. 21, no. 1, pp. 35-53, Jan. 2019.
Bhattacharya, Sourit and Chattopadhyay, Arka, “Environment: from a humanities perspective: introductory thoughts”, Sanglap: Journal of Literary and Cultural Inquiry, vol. 5, no. 2, Mar. 2019.
Chattopadhyay, Arka, “Harold Pinter's aging male speakers: affect of exhaustion and metaphors of agency”, The Harold Pinter Review, DOI: 10.5325/haropintrevi.3.1.0001, vol. 3, no. 1, pp. 1-13, Jun. 2019.
Chattopadhyay, Arka, “Before the door that opens on my story: Samuel Beckett and narrative as Detritus”, Language and Psychoanalysis, DOI: 10.7565/landp.v8i1.1593, vol. 8, no. 1, pp. 1-14, May 2019.
Chattopadhyay, Arka, “Ontology of sound in Harold Pinter’s radio drama”, Sound Studies, DOI: 10.1080/20551940.2019.1652021, pp. 1-14, Sep. 2019.
Chattopadhyay, Arka, “Is there a parallax in the mind? Samuel Beckett and distance in the psychic archive”, Textual Practice, DOI: 10.1080/0950236X.2020.1729850, Feb. 2020.
Chattopadhyay, Arka, “Mathematical possibilities in modernism: can literature be a system?”, Journal of Humanistic Mathematics, DOI: 10.5642/jhummath.202001.13, vol. 10, no. 1, pp. 295-316, Jan. 2020. Magazine/Newspaper Articles/Short Story
Chattopadhyay, Arka, “Nabarun Bhattacharya conjures ghosts of revolutionary dreams in his masterful novel “Harbart” [Book Review]”, Words Without Borders, Aug. 2019.
Chattopadhyay, Arka, "Shakuntala Devi sensitizes us to humane aspects of numbers", The Quint, Aug. 5, 2020.
- Chattopadhyay, Arka, "Adaptation as appropriation: an excursus through the theatre of Badal Sircar", in Cafe Dissensus Everyday, Jan. 7, 2019.
Banerjee, Arunava and Chattopadhyay, Arka, “Talking your way to mental health”, in PatientsEngage, Oct. 10, 2019.
Chattopadhyay, Arka, “Love knows maths: ‘Dil Bechara’ and ‘The Fault in Our Stars’ ”, in Cafe Dissensus Everyday, Jul. 28, 2020.
- Chattopadhyay, Arka, "Machine, Bio-politics and death in Nabarun Bhattacharya’s fiction", in the International Conference on 401 years after Shakespeare: Shifting Paradigms from the Shakespearean Human to the Post-human, The Heritage College, Kolkata, IN, Nov. 24-25, 2017.
Chattopadhyay, Arka, "Is there a mental parallax?: Beckett and Psychic Distance", in the 2018 MLA Annual Convention, New York, US, Jan. 6, 2018.
Chattopadhyay, Arka, "Close reading", in the 10th annual Postgraduate Research Conference on Interventions and Intersections, Western Sydney University, Sydney, AU, Jul. 5-6, 2018.
Chattopadhyay, Arka, "Digital humanities and manuscript studies: extension and activation", in the Digital Humanities Alliance of India (DHAI) Conference, IIM Indore, IN, Jun. 1-2, 2018.
Chattopadhyay, Arka, "Logical space in Lacan’s Purloined Poe", in the Lacan Ecrits Conference 2018, Department of Psychology, University of Ghent, BE, Sep. 20-21, 2018.
Chattopadhyay, Arka, "Soundscape in Pinter: from a slight ache to family voices", in the Pinter on Film, Television and Radio Conference, University of Reading and British Library, Reading, UK, Sep. 19-20, 2018.
Chattopadhyay, Arka, “Sandipan Chattopadhyay's Bharot Borsho: nationalism and desire”, in the International Conference on Region/Nation/Trans-Nation: Literature-Cinema Interface, BITS Goa, IN, Jan. 31-Feb. 2, 2019.
Chattopadhyay, Arka, “Towards a ‘World Form’ in regional world literature”, in the Annual Meeting of the American Comparative Literature Association, Mar. 7-10, 2019.
Chattopadhyay, Arka, “Travelling on: Bengali and English literatures of worlding”, in the South Asian Literary Association 2020 Annual Conference (SALA 2020), Seattle, US, Jan. 7-9, 2020.
Chattopadhyay, Arka, “Things in ill seen ill said: abstraction, affect, and the impossibility of absence”, in the Modern Language Association 2020 Annual Convention (MLA 2020), Seattle, US, Jan. 9-12, 2020.
- Chattopadhyay, Arka, "[Review of Samuel Beckett and the Terror of Literature by Christopher Langlois]", Modernism-Modernity, DOI: 10.1353/mod.2019.0013, vo. 26, no. 1, pp. 228-230, Jan. 2019.