<< Back to Faculty
- B.A. (Political Science): Jadavpur University, India, 2008
- M.A. (International Relations): Jadavpur University, India, 2010
- M.Sc. (International Development): University of Edinburgh, United Kingdom, 2011
- Ph.D. (Humanities & Social Sciences): IIT Gandhinagar, India, 2020
- Email: dyotana.banerjee -AT- iitgn.ac.in
- Office: 4/334
Research Interests: Politics of urban transformations, Caste politics in India, Youth politics, neoliberal cultures, and social media, Indian middle class politics
- Journal Articles
- Magazine/Newspaper Articles/Short Story
- Papers Presented
- Banerjee, Dyotana and Mehta, Mona G., “Caste and capital in the remaking of Ahmedabad”, Contemporary South Asia, DOI: 10.1080/09584935.2017.1329278, vol. 25, no. 2, pp. 182-195, Apr. 2017.
Banerjee, Dyotana, “Reading a Dalit movement through social media: limits and possibilities”, Critical Asian Studies, Jul. 2019.
Banerjee, Dyotana, “Pandemic rituals and compliant urban neighbours: middle-class politics in Bangalore”, International Journal of Urban and Regional Research (IJURR), Aug. 2020.
- Ingole, Prashant and Banerjee, Dyotana, "Coronavirus and caste: is our response to the pandemic casteist?", The Quint, Mar. 21, 2020.
Banerjee, Dyotana, "Caste, class and populist political anxieties in 'Paatal Lok'", Thewire.in, May 23, 2020.
Banerjee, Dyotana, "Thappad: defying patriarchy without dismantling families?", Countercurrents.org, May 12, 2020.
Banerjee, Dyotana and Das Noyonika, "Moralizing middle class and the choked response to demonetization", South Asia Journal, Jun. 06, 2020.
- Banerjee, Dyotana, “Savarna middle class and Article 15: Puncturing the 'politics' in the political”, in Countercurrents.org, Jul. 9, 2019.
- Banerjee, Dyotana and Mehta, Mona G., "A ghettoized 'Smart City': caste and capital in the remaking of Ahmedabad", in the British Association of the South Asian Studies Annual Conference, University of Cambridge, UK, Apr. 6-8, 2016.
Banerjee, Dyotana and Mehta, Mona G., "Caste and capital in the remaking of Ahmedabad", in the 24th European Conference on South Asian Studies, University of Warsaw, PL, Jul. 27-30, 2016.
Banerjee, Dyotana, "Contradictions of marginalization and aspirations in urban spaces", in the National Seminar on Urban Marginality, Social Policy and Education in India, National Institute of Educational Planning and Administration, New Delhi, IN, Feb. 12-13, 2018.
Banerjee, Dyotana, “Indigenous' capital and the politics of assimilation in the shaping of early 20th century urban spaces in Ahmedabad”, in the International Conference & Workshop on Indian Business and Economic History, Indian Institute of Management Ahmedabad, IN, Aug. 29-31, 2019.
Banerjee, Dyotana, "Dalit street theatre and caste-cohered locales in the space politics of Ahmedabad", in the 25th European Conference on South Asian Studies, École des Hautes Études en Sciences Sociales (The School of Advanced Studies in the Social Sciences), Paris, FR, Jul. 24-27, 2018.
Banerjee, Dyotana, “Contradictions in space and aspirations in the new Dalit politics in Ahmedabad”, in the International Conference RC 21, In and Beyond the City: Emerging Ontologies, Persistent Challenges and Hopeful Futures, India Habitat Centre, New Delhi, Sep. 18-21, 2019.