Rosa Maria Perez is an anthropologist and senior researcher at the Centre for Research in Anthropology (CRIA). Until August 2020, she was a professor of the Department of Anthropology of ISCTE- University Institute of Lisbon. She has been a visiting professor at different universities in the USA (particularly Brown University), Europe, Mozambique, Brazil and India. Since 2012, Perez has been a visiting professor at IITGN. Her core research is on Indian society and social segregation (with a particular focus on Dalit and women), women studies, colonialism and post-colonialism in India, fieldwork methodology, public anthropology and human rights.
Perez is a consultant to the UN Commission for Gender Equality and Women’s Empowerment and European Councils on Asia. Her latest book in English is Transdisciplinary Ethnography in India: Women in the Field, co-edited with Lina M. Fruzzetti (Routledge, London and NY, 2021).
On the 28th of June 2021, as part of the Science 2021 Meeting, she received a medal of scientific merit from the Portuguese Minister of Science, Technology and Higher Education.
Research Interests: Social structures, social segregation, subaltern studies, Fieldwork methodology, Portuguese colonialism and postcolonialism in India, Globalisation and diaspora, Anthropology and cinema
MA in Classical Studies: FL, University of Lisbon, Lisbon, 1976
MA in Anthropology: ISCSP, Lisbon, 1980
PhD in Anthropology: ISCTE, Lisbon, 1992
- Perez Rosa Maria, “The Tulsi and the Cross”, Anthropology and the Colonial Encounter in Goa, Delhi, Chronicle, 2011.
- Perez Rosa Maria, “2044- Kings and untouchables: a study of the caste system in western India”, New Delhi, DC Publishers.
- Perez Rosa Maria, CARVALHO and Clara eds, “Mirrors of the empire”, Oeiras, Celta Editora, 2002.
- Perez Rosa Maria, et al., eds, Goan Stories, Lisbon: M.N.E., 1997.
- Guest Professor, Indian Institute of Technology, Gandhinagar
- Associate Professor, Department of Anthropology, ISCTE, Lisbon (1983 to present)
- Brown University (regular visiting professor since 2000)
- European University Institute (Florence, Italy)
- University Eduardo Mondlane (Maputo, Mozambique)Scientific consultancy
- 2010: Counsellor of the Minister for Science and Technology, Portugal;
- 2010: Member of the Scientific Board, European Association for South Asian Studies (EASAS);
- 2009: Steering Committee, Instituto Universitário Europeu, Florença;
- 2008: Pool of Reviewers of Anthropology, European Science Foundation;
- 2006: Anthropology Expert Panel, European Reference Index for the Humanities (ERIH);
- 2006: Pool of Experts, European Network for Contemporary Research on India (ENCARI), European Commission;
- 1999-2002: Member of the Executive Board of the European Science Foundation – Asia Committee;